Wednesday, January 14, 2009

'Routines'

I wake up to the sound of my phone alarm going off, switch it off and sleep some more. I wake up again about twenty minutes later, still in the dark and get myself out of bed, look out of the window towards the other apartment block. Sometimes certain apartments are lit, with people sitting out on their balconies or looking out from the windows. I undress away from the window, in the safe darkness of my room. Take the towel hanging from the closet, wrap it around me and unlock the door to my room slowly, careful to shut it again without locking myself out.

I enter the bathroom after turning on the lights and water heater, lock the door and stare at the mirror. The grey in my hair is now very pronounced. I have begun to put on weight in my face. There is a scratch on my shoulder that I believe was made by some insect. I brush my teeth and spit out red-tinged toothpaste into the sink. It's almost been always lately: my gums bleed too easily. I shower under the heated water, trying to remember the contents of my dream, trying to remember if I even had one. This usually leads to nothing. I turn off the water and turn back to the mirror which is now clouded with steam. I like what I see: this familiar facelessness. I dry myself thoroughly before returning to my room.

The door leading to one of my landlord's room is open--he is out, the bed unmade--I see this the moment I step out of the bathroom. I have never considered entering it, even if it was to close the window to keep the rain from coming into his room. He is usually out very much earlier than me.

I enter my room and lock it, pull the window panel and curtain shut. Dry myself some more before getting into my office clothes. Dry my feet with a small towel and apply talcum powder to them before wearing socks. I take my watch, wallet, mobile phone and bag, and leave my room, locking up behind me.

No comments: