Wednesday, July 29, 2009

'148'

I thought of the cold air within your vehicle and felt the immediate need to embrace you, my heart, if only for the briefest moment. Travelling in the dark of the highway you had nothing but occasional strangers in other vehicles for company. My understanding of the world changed, my need was no longer one for articulation. For the first time in my life, I tried to recognize which exit it was. Was it the north or the south one that you would have to take? Worry, like a spider with legs made from metal, walked across the surface of my heart. I thought of the cold air around you, compared it to mine, wondered how fast it was that you were travelling, distance over time. Were you safe? I had wanted everything to go well for you. I closed my eyes and I hoped. And when your voice told me that you were making it, step by step and turn by turn, to me, I was overwhelmed with a sense of pride. You had left your parked vehicle in the garage, and I had marvelled at how beautiful you were under what little light there was.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so beautifully expressed, as always. I <3 it!

xx